Rice in broth: Caldosos y Melosos
There are two categories of rice in broth:
- The Caldosos Arroces: a Valencian version of our pot au feu, with a handful of saffron rice.
- The Melosos Arroces: also called “semicaldosos”, they are identical but with less broth, we obtain a rendering of the aroma “molasses” like a syrup very thick and very viscous, thanks to the starch released by the rice.
They cook in a “Puchero” or “Perol de Barro”.
History of rice broth “Caldoso” or “Meloso”
Valencians have always used Pucheros in the ground (pictured here on the right).
Today the tradition is lost a little and it is not uncommon to see them cooked in cast iron pots or large pots.
We can thus afford to cook with a stronger fire, the dish being less fragile to sudden differences in temperature.
Proportions common to broth rice
For rice: The proportions per person are: from 50 to 75 g of round rice A.O.C. of Valencia.
For water: 1/4 liter of water per person, or a little more …
Be careful to take into account:
- the cooking time of the rice: read the instructions on the package.
- the appetite of your guests.
Tips for a successful Bouillon Rice
All these tips are common to all “Caldosos” or “Melosos” rice:
For your recipes:
- The ingredients are always placed in cold Puchero water.
- On the contrary, the rice must always be introduced into boiling broth.
- If you cook with a terracotta Puchero: it is advisable to use a diffuser that breaks the flames.
- Start with a very low fire, and increase little by little …
- The rice must NEVER be washed.
- When you introduce the rice, stir everything to distribute it well
- Start cooking the rice over high heat but gradually lower the heat when half cooked.
The cooking time of the rice observed: 15 to 20 min, so half-cooking is between 7 & 9 min.
- Remove the dish from the fire a little before the end of cooking, because the heat returned by the earthenware dish, will continue to cook the rice.
- The difficulty of these rice is to monitor the end of cooking, so that the grains are not overcooked and remains closed.
Otherwise they explode & your dish is really missed.
- Preferably use a large wooden spoon.
Some Rice Recipes in Bouillon
Here is a non-exhaustive list of the most typical and authentic broth rice recipes from the Valencia region:
- Arròs amb fesols i naps
- Arroz “Es Carranc”
- Arroz con callos de ternera
- Arroz con pulpo
- Arroz con perdices
- Arroz caldoso de pascado
- Arroz caldoso con pulpo y robellones
- Arroz caldoso con codornices y collejas
- Arroz meloso de conejo con boletus, laminas de trufas negras y foie
All these recipes, and many more, will be online soon …